Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Laughing over the years


Troy McClellan sent this tribute via Warren Young October 22 :

"Rick and I shared many great times, but one occasion would come up regularly as we would talk about the various trips and projects that we were a part of. We were on a flying trip with Joe Rudenic to photograph the 1994 annular solar eclipse. We met rather early at Landsdown Airport in Youngstown to take Joe's Cessna to Definance, Ohio. Those who know me know that I am not really a morning person and I need large amounts of coffee to get myself moving. After using the facilities at the hangar, we departed on a 3-hour flight to Defiance. About the time we were passing over Akron, my bladder, having been shaken and stirred from the turbulence and vibration of the flight, began to tell me it was time! Joe and Rick asked me if I could hold on for another hour and a half. I thought that would be a stretch, but I would make it work. Needless to say, when we landed at the small regional airstrip in Defiance I could not wait to taxi to the terminal. So we pulled off the runway and I watered the grass next to the airstrip for what seem like several minutes. I then proceeded to empty the rest at the terminal. We watched and photographed the eclipse and had a humorous story to remember. I cannot count the number of times Rick and I laughed about this over the years.

"On one of his visits to Florida, Rick took pictures of my children and me at the beach. A memorable shot of Katie and me hangs in my home and reminds me of the special time we spent together. Rick was a true friend and he will be greatly missed."

Troy McClellan

No comments:

Post a Comment