Saturday, October 25, 2008

Tour of the Universe, food great, the company even better

Ted Seman sent this October 25, 2008:

"Rick was a friend who I very much enjoyed seeing and occasionally working with during the many years I knew him. We met when I attended the university as an undergraduate student in the department, so very long ago. I remember numerous ‘tech talk’ discussions we had in the planetarium, where he would show me some current engineering/design work he was involved with at the time. He and I had a common interest in electronics and I had a great deal of respect for what he was able to do as an engineer and technician. I really enjoyed those discussions, as well as a number of collaborations with Rick as I would help make ready a piece of hardware for use in the planetarium.

"I also recall how, on a Friday or Saturday evening, I would take a break from working on some project of my own in a department lab shortly before a 6:00 or 8:00 show and visit Rick in the planetarium workroom, and then stay for a show or presentation he would host. Rick was a great lecturer and producer. I enjoyed the many presentations he gave as well as the content of the programs, for which he was largely responsible. Sometimes we would go out for a bite to eat or coffee after a planetarium show (Inner Circle, Fred's New Life Diner, Denny's... etc.) The food was great and the company even better. Other fond (and fun) memories that come to my mind include the many Halloween ‘Night Lights’ shows. After some of the season’s later shows (when the pumpkins were ripe enough to get up and walk out on their own) we would all haul them to the top of Ward Beecher Hall for the dumpster tossing contest. What a mess it made-- but we had such a great time! (And lest we not forget: turning off streetlights with a laser while we were up there, too!) After one show, we went to Denny's restaurant, with Rick packing some dry ice in his coffee mug. The waitress has a very foggy memory of that cup she served up!! She jumped, and we laughed!! Another fond memory I have is being invited out to the farm for dinner and just walking around your land and talking...

"Aside from his talents, and the good times and memories, I respected Rick for his opinions and views on matters of importance. We saw eye to eye on things like the value of good education, discipline, hard work and common sense. His passing is a great loss to us all, and I will truly miss him. I last saw Rick earlier this year in the planetarium workroom. I had dropped by the department for a visit, and stopped in to see if he was around. Sure enough, he was. We had a nice conversation about the lighting in the planetarium as he displayed new LED panels he had been working with. But time was ticking on and I had to hit the road. My visit ended with a smile, a handshake and a few closing words. Unknown to me then, it was the last time I would see him. Perhaps by some Cosmic Order of things, we will see him again. And maybe then Rick will be able to take us on a tour of the Universe that no planetarium could ever provide. We can only hope...

“In Friendship and with my Deepest Sympathy,”
Ted Seman

No comments:

Post a Comment